WOCS Applicants
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
WOCS Applicants

A forum specifically designed to assist both civilian and military members in their WOCS Application process or WOCS.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

How To Request

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
AngeloMileto

AngeloMileto

How To Request Empty
PostSubject: How To Request   How To Request Icon_minitimeFri Jun 27, 2008 6:37 am

Being new to the Army, I have absolutely no contacts. How does one go about requesting a letter of recommendation from an active or retired CW5 when you don't know any?
Back to top Go down
http://www.rhgclan.com
Konig

How To Request Empty
PostSubject: Re: How To Request   How To Request Icon_minitimeSat Jun 28, 2008 12:46 pm

I'm in the same boat.
Back to top Go down
ErOkOnE

ErOkOnE

How To Request Empty
PostSubject: Re: How To Request   How To Request Icon_minitimeSun Jun 29, 2008 10:57 pm

Even if you don't have "contacts" you do have a chain of command. Use them. Also, think about the people you knew before joining the military. People of influence in your community, pastors, congressmen/women, CEO's, community leaders, places you've volunteered.

There isn't a shortage of battle hardened leadership in the military. e-7 through e-9's that might write you a LOR. In short, if you want this then, talk to those people around you. Develop relationships quickly.

Hope that helps.

Don't give up...
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/erokone
AngeloMileto

AngeloMileto

How To Request Empty
PostSubject: Re: How To Request   How To Request Icon_minitimeTue Jul 01, 2008 6:58 am

Thanks for the reply. I actually had previously secured letters from former and current bosses which is about the only influential people I can think of outside of family (which I didn't think was too good of an idea).

When I say I'm new, I mean I'm so new that I don't know my chain of command yet Smile Smile First drill is coming up next weekend and I'm told we'll spend that time ordering my uniforms and such.

My current boss does know a retired CW5 who I am trying to get contact information for so that's one source and I guess I can ask the people I work with at the Pentagon to get additional letters and/or contacts. I'm thinking you can't have too many or am I wrong?

Thanks again for helping out the new guys Smile Smile
Back to top Go down
Konig

How To Request Empty
PostSubject: Re: How To Request   How To Request Icon_minitimeFri Aug 15, 2008 2:38 pm

Senators?
Back to top Go down
AngeloMileto

AngeloMileto

How To Request Empty
PostSubject: Re: How To Request   How To Request Icon_minitimeMon Aug 18, 2008 5:09 am

That's an excellent idea Konig. I'll have to try to figure out the proper way to do this since I live in WV but am serving in MD. Maybe I could get both to write letters for me Smile Smile

BTW, just to update everyone. My first drill weekend was pretty slow as the unit had just finished their Annual Training the prior month so they planned on this weekend being a relax weekend. Did meet most of my section and talked to the supply SGT on uniforms (as of August, still none though).

Decided to take the Physical Fitness Test last Drill (August 2008) and just wore my civilian workout clothes - they are grey and black though Smile Smile I was really worried even though I'd been going to the gym since June.

Anyway here are the results:
Push-ups - 42; right on my goal
Sit-ups - 38; a bit shy of my goal
Run - 14:40; WAY under my goal
Total Points - 244; not bad for a 50 something eh? Now just need to work on sit-ups to get up to goal then push all to 100 points.

Next big challenge is October when we go to the range for Individual Weapons Qualification. Since the AF doesn't really shoot "real" M-16s, I'm a bit worried, but, I'm sure I'll do well enough to qualify. That's the goal for my first time. Then we'll start working on marksmanship scores.

Again, thanks for the advice and I'll get working on the request letter.
Back to top Go down
Konig

How To Request Empty
PostSubject: Re: How To Request   How To Request Icon_minitimeTue Aug 19, 2008 6:49 am

I've just sent in letters to my senators so hopefully they will get back sometime soon. I'm not sure when to put my packet in. I deploy to Iraq in February and I'm not sure if I should wait tell then to put it in or put it in ASAP.

AngeloMileto have you been to basic yet? What are the physical fitness standards of the AF. Qualifying with your weapon is a peace of cake. Some people let it get to there head even though its not a big deal at all. Just relax, breathe and you'll be fine.
Back to top Go down
levisiegfried

How To Request Empty
PostSubject: Re: How To Request   How To Request Icon_minitimeWed Sep 03, 2008 2:30 am

The USAF standards are way below the Army. Im currently in the USAF and im 26 years of age. I breeze throught the fitness test without trying. You can score in the high 80's without pushing yourself as long as you dont have a huge waist. But the USAF PF test reall is just pass or fail.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

How To Request Empty
PostSubject: Re: How To Request   How To Request Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

How To Request
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
WOCS Applicants :: Military Applicants :: Letters of Recommendation Help-
Jump to: