WOCS Applicants
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
WOCS Applicants

A forum specifically designed to assist both civilian and military members in their WOCS Application process or WOCS.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

A note to Civilians wanting to become Warrant Officers

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
ErOkOnE

ErOkOnE

A note to Civilians wanting to become Warrant Officers Empty
PostSubject: A note to Civilians wanting to become Warrant Officers   A note to Civilians wanting to become Warrant Officers Icon_minitimeWed Apr 23, 2008 7:24 am

Whatever you do. Don't give up!!! Persistence is the key with your packet. You must continue to press your recruiter into doing what you want and that is to become a warrant officer. If that is your goal then pursue that and do not allow yourself to be convince to join enlisted first.

Some recruiters will say that this is your best option and that it will be easy to come in as a WO after you've been in. I don't believe that. I think its harder. Your up against so many active duty applicants that have had years of experience of working on all types of airframes.

If this is your dream, you have to keep it alive.

You should pack as many things that are relevant to your maturity and your character into your resume.
Your letters of recommendation should depict you as someone who wants to make a difference in their community and this nation.
If you have to write statements or letters be truthful and honest.
If it takes a year and a half, as it did for me, continue to press on towards your mark.

Gain experience relevant to becoming a WO and an Aviator, during the time you are waiting, better yourself, in order to become a better candidate.

Whatever you do, don't give up on your dream. Believe in it day in and day out. Pray about it, thank God for it, and prepare for it.

If you have questions about the process let me know, I'll do my best to answer them as precisely as I can.

Take care and GOOD LUCK.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/erokone
JEHELI

PostSubject: Re: A note to Civilians wanting to become Warrant Officers   A note to Civilians wanting to become Warrant Officers Icon_minitimeTue Jun 03, 2008 6:56 am

Thanks for the encouragement EQ.

I just finished everything and I am waiting for the board results on June 9th from USAREC. I feel pretty confident that I made it. But I've got to admit, I feel like putting together this packet was the easy part. Now what? Of course get accepted, then what should I start studying? Any manuals or websites that you think might be helpful?

Thanks,
-Jenny
Back to top Go down
JEHELI

PostSubject: Re: A note to Civilians wanting to become Warrant Officers   A note to Civilians wanting to become Warrant Officers Icon_minitimeTue Jun 03, 2008 9:27 am

ErOkOnE,
I didn't specify, but I am going for WOFT. More questions:

Do you know if your August course is filled up yet? I'd like to get in that class. I haven't officially been accepted yet (June 9th I'll know), but I also wanted to ask you about your MEPS experience when you "signed up". What were the challenges & did you get any bonuses or duty station gaurantees? What was the committment for you? What were some things that you were promised and/or made sure that you had in writing before you signed up?

Thanks,
-Jenny
Back to top Go down
ErOkOnE

ErOkOnE

PostSubject: Re: A note to Civilians wanting to become Warrant Officers   A note to Civilians wanting to become Warrant Officers Icon_minitimeTue Jun 03, 2008 5:18 pm

JEHELI,

I am glad that your confidence is exactly where it needs to be.

I don't know if the August course is filled up yet.

I can infer that you're a civilian as well and the process for me was as follows.

I found out the results, the recruiter called and made a job reservation for me. He gave me the earliest available date which is this August. I signed the DEP paperwork and now I go back to "MEPS" this August 5th to truly enlist. From there, I will go to Ft. Rucker on the 11th and start getting my uniforms and all my general issue (GI) equipment.

My challenges all truly came with my packet. I had to overcome some obstacles to get accepted. As far as station guarantees. I didn't get any. I believe, don't quote me, that because I'm going in as a 153A, general helicopter aviator, once i am assigned an airframe i will have to go wherever I'm needed for that air frame.

But it doesn't hurt to ask.

Also with as far as bonuses and GI BILL or Loan repayment. I was told that I didn't qualify for the GI Bill but for the student Loan repayment program. No bonuses.

The DEP Paper work states that the commitment after completing WOCs is "no less than 72 months"

When i go back to MEPS this August to truly enlist i will read over my contract and make sure that all that I want is in the contract.

Currently I am reviewing the issue with the GI BILL.

As far as studying, I assumed that learning all you can about aviation, instrument reading, etc can only help you during flight school, but for WOCS i would recommend reading and studying the SOP http://usawocc.army.mil/woes/WOC%20SOP.pdf. Thats what I'm doing now.

Also review this website: http://usawocc.army.mil/index.htm you'll find a lot of useful info.

Hope this helps and good luck on the 9th June. If your packet depicts your confidence as your posts do, I'm sure you'll do just fine.

V/R,
ErOk_OnE

Last edited by ErOkOnE on Tue Jun 03, 2008 5:25 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling error)
Back to top Go down
JEHELI

PostSubject: Re: A note to Civilians wanting to become Warrant Officers   A note to Civilians wanting to become Warrant Officers Icon_minitimeWed Jun 04, 2008 6:34 am

ErOk_OnE,
Thanks for the answers, I appreciate you taking time to get back with me ....and so quickly! You are right, I am a civilian. I have 5 yrs prior service in the Army though with an outstanding record. I specifically got out to finish my degree (although not required for this) and to plant the seeds to be at this very moment in my career / life.

I printed the SOP out for WOCS the other day study , but glad to see that I am on the right track (along with you) in trying to get as much info as I can. Thanks for all of the great posts in here and on vertical reference. You are going to be an outstanding aviator.

-JB
Back to top Go down
ErOkOnE

ErOkOnE

PostSubject: Re: A note to Civilians wanting to become Warrant Officers   A note to Civilians wanting to become Warrant Officers Icon_minitimeThu Jun 05, 2008 6:38 am

JB,
No problem. Thanks and I appreciate your comments.
5 years Army? what MOS were you?

Question: Did your recruiter tell you that you didn't qualify for the GI bill? could you ask him/her if you do and get back to me. I'm trying to see if my recruiter is really checking up on things.

Thanks..

-eq
Back to top Go down
JEHELI

PostSubject: Re: A note to Civilians wanting to become Warrant Officers   A note to Civilians wanting to become Warrant Officers Icon_minitimeThu Jun 05, 2008 8:48 am

EQ,
I was a medic. 2 years at Ft. Drum, NY and the other 3 were in Belgium. Good times.

GI Bill. Hmmm..... Did I read in another post that you were / are NG or Reserve? Not sure if that has anything to do with it. Either way, I will check with my recruiter to find out what those options are. I am getting so anxious!

Thanks,

JB
Back to top Go down
JEHELI

PostSubject: Re: A note to Civilians wanting to become Warrant Officers   A note to Civilians wanting to become Warrant Officers Icon_minitimeWed Jun 11, 2008 10:26 am

EQ,

I asked the career counselor about you qualifying for the GI bill and he told me that if you already have it, obviously you don't qualify for it again, but if you don't have prior service and are coming in you should be eligible for it.

My suggestion would be to call your career counselor or get your recruiter to talk with someone at your MEPS station prior to shipping out and get this squared away, in writing. I do hope you try to get it. It was pretty useful to me, & I still have plenty left.

-JB
Back to top Go down
JEHELI

PostSubject: Re: A note to Civilians wanting to become Warrant Officers   A note to Civilians wanting to become Warrant Officers Icon_minitimeThu Jun 12, 2008 12:12 pm

A little light reading anyone ? Shocked

http://www.aviationtrainer.com/

http://www.mini-10.com/
Back to top Go down
ErOkOnE

ErOkOnE

PostSubject: Re: A note to Civilians wanting to become Warrant Officers   A note to Civilians wanting to become Warrant Officers Icon_minitimeFri Jun 13, 2008 11:23 am

JEHELI wrote:
A little light reading anyone ? Shocked

http://www.aviationtrainer.com/

http://www.mini-10.com/

nice...i checked with my recruiter and i guess i fell under a USAREC message stating that the only benefit would be loan repayment at the time of my enlistment for WO. So i'll still try to figure something out.

nice websites...didn't know these were out here.

way to go Jen!!!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A note to Civilians wanting to become Warrant Officers   A note to Civilians wanting to become Warrant Officers Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

A note to Civilians wanting to become Warrant Officers
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
WOCS Applicants :: Fully Qualified / Selected :: Civilians-
Jump to: